Castor Oil Packs: How To
Naturopathic physicians recommend castor oil packs as a gentle immune stimulant. The packs applied to different areas of the body have been shown to increase circulation, promote elimination and heal tissues and organs underneath the skin. It is particularly effective in being absorbed into lymph circulation, which can improve digestive flow, immune function and reduces inflammation, swelling and adhesions. Adding heat to the packs activates the castor oil allowing it to penetrate into the deeper tissues.
Example uses: pelvic pain, constipation or digestive problems, menstrual irregularities, uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts, endometriosis, liver congestion, headaches, urinary frequency, injured joints and extremities, post- respiratory infections to prevent scarring.
• Castor Oil
• White flannel of 2 cm thickness, large enough to cover the affected area • Heating pad or hot water bottle
• Plastic bag (to cover heating pad/bottle)
• Glass container with lid
• 1 old towel
1. Pour a small quantity of castor oil onto the flannel, but not to the point of the pack dripping with oil.
2. Place the castor oil saturated side of the flannel on affected area (my favourite locations: liver, abdomen and uterus/ovaries)
3. Find a comfortable place to rest while the pack is in place, and place an old towel on the area you will be laying on in case of leakage. Castor oil does stain clothes, so take care in what clothes you will wear.
4. Cover the heating pad with a plastic bag, and then place on top of the castor oil pack.
5. Set the heating pad on low heat for 20-40 minutes.
6. After removal, wipe the area with a paper towel then cleanse the area with water.
7. The castor oil pack should be stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator and may be reused numerous times.
8. For maximum effectiveness, apply the pack at least 3 days a week for at least 4 to 6 weeks.
Do not use castor oil pack on abdomen during pregnancy or menstruation.
Maintaining the Flannel: The flannel can be reused 10 times before washing is required. To help clean the oil out of the flannel, 3 tablespoons of baking soda is added to the washing machine. Replace the pack after it begins to change colour (usually several months).
Use this time as your time to meditate, relax, do your deep breathing!